Sunday 19 April 2009

This is my First!

Well, here I am, in my very own blog! This is just by way of a very brief introduction. What I intend to do over the next few weeks is to centralise pieces I have written elsewhere before beginning to write some new stuff. I want a complete record of my work, my best work, which covers everything from dissertations on subjects as varied as history, books, philosophy, art, witchcraft, as well as some personal biographical pieces. I love writing, I always have, and I play with words for the sheer pleasure of doing so. This will be my online journal, a true insight into what I am and how I think. I'm here; yes, I am!

4 comments:

  1. Finaly I'm arrived on your first post. I must says you have many good posts overall.

    Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ana- I too have read your posts backwards until arriving here! Very interesting, and as I've said before, very well done!
    I have a subjective question for you about historical novels, how do you like them written? Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" and Jean M. Auels "Clan of the Cave Bear", (and her Children of the Earth series) though pre-dating your time period of major interest, seem to me to be books that you would like. In those cases all the action stays within the period, and the author and therefore the reader is aware of all the characters thoughts. I agree with you on your assessment of Dan Brown's novel and found it trite, nearly comic book, though in "The Da Vinci Code" the historical facts of the novel were related to the reader through a modern day character in the book instead of taking the reader back in time to "see" those past events as they may have happened. Have you ever read an historical novel where that kind of flipflop between present and past is done successfully? Thanks for any thoughts you might care to share! -Caoimhin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Caoimhin. Your words are truly appreciated. :-)

    To be honest I haven't read an awful lot of historical fiction. Of those I have read I really enjoyed Robert Graves' Claudius books as well as his Count Belisarius. I also liked Marguerite Yourcenar's Memoirs of Hadrian.

    I suppose John Fowles The French Lieutenant's Woman might conceivably be considered in the past/present category, but that is a book I hated!

    ReplyDelete