Wednesday 3 February 2010

Remember


Remember is a poem by Christina Rosetti, a poem of consolation for those who have lost someone close to them. I read it at my grandmother’s funeral. I’m posting it here for a friend.

REMEMBER me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go, yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

3 comments:

  1. I have never come across this work before, it is a very lovely poem. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. And thanks for being so kind. -- Duke

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Timeless Poem by a great poet.

    ReplyDelete