Monday 22 February 2010

Nico is my Mirror


I’m really just discovering The Velvet Underground, a band active in the late 1960s and early 1970s; a band associated with Andy Warhol and his Factory as well as his Exploding Plastic Inevitable Events. Their 1967 debut album The Velvet Underground and Nico, given to me last Christmas, just leaves me breathless; songs like Heroin, All Tomorrow’s Parties, Sunday Morning and I’ll be your Mirror leave me breathless.

Lou Reed is an excellent song writer but it is Nico, the German singer, who collaborated with the band on that first album, who intrigues and fascinates me the most; the beautiful, magical and tragic Nico. Now long dead that haunting voice reaches out to me, seems to beckon me in the fashion of a Siren. I listen to her again, and again and again. She is becoming my mirror. She was a Chelsea Girl; I am a Chelsea girl-she is my avatar







6 comments:

  1. All Tommorrow's Parties and Pale Blue Eyes are fantastic songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy. that was great! I'm going on You Tube in a bit to favourite it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have excellent taste in music, love the Velvet Underground, and Nico. I think it would be impossible to ever become tired of their music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Paul. I think they are absoutely super. I find Nico altogether mesmerising.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember being fascinated by this group, and Nico's enigmatic voice in particular, almost as one of my earliest experiences of seriously listening to music. Those old vinyl albums have long since disappeared so it's good to hear this again.

    John Cale has done interesting things since his days with the VU including recent work on film and theatre groups back in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Heron. I've completly fallen in love with them, fallen in love with Nico or, better said, the image and idea of Nico. And when I fall in love I lose all caution in the process. :-)

    ReplyDelete