Thursday 19 August 2010

Great Jaguar


The jaguar, feared and respected, is central to the Mayan pantheon, embracing both the dark and the light. Their principle gods are Jaguar gods, most notably the Black Jaguar of the underworld, or the god of Terrestrial Fire, and the Light Jaguar of the upper. Creation and destruction are twins, not opposites in the Mayan cosmology.

Jaguars were associated with the night sky, especially in the form of a black panther. The spotted jaguar also had night associations, their marks symbolising the stars. Their golden colour also represented the sun and their eyes, glowing with light, were said to be the mirrors of the moon.

Shamans were closely identified with jaguars, evidenced by the fact that in the Mayan language the world balam signifies both magician-priest and jaguar. It was also believed that the shaman, in the midst of a ritual, transformed into a jaguar.

Ixchel is one of the most complex and to me most appealing of the jaguar deities. Principally she is the goddess of midwifery and medicine. She also has associations with the moon and fertility, war and destruction, again this complex unity of opposing forces in the great cycle of existence.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prayed vigorously to the Jaguar Gods that some dire fate befall Blair. I wait, I wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I don't know if I asked you before whether you've read Carlos Castaneda's books? They are wonderful, in my opinion, though some have accused him of being a fraud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brendano, thanks. No, I have not, but I'll check him out.

    ReplyDelete