Thursday 29 April 2010

Portrait


I read The Portrait of a Lady last year, my first serious introduction to the work of Henry James. Did I enjoy it? Well, yes, I suppose I did; I certainly admired James' craftsmanship. More to the point, did I believe it; did I believe in the people he created? Here I have more difficulty. There was something so terribly cerebral and bloodless about the whole thing. I simply cannot conceive of people like Isobel and Gilbert existing in any real sense, outwith, it might be said, ghostly forms of Platonic consciousness. They are like icebergs, drifting to no particular end. I close the book, I turn away, and they are no longer there.

5 comments:

  1. It's one of those books 'one must read', though I've never read it. Suppose the portrait is only canvass deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is, or body without substance. The writing is really good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some day I'll get round to it...maybe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might enjoy it for the author's command of language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed I might--I shall at some point, I should think.

    ReplyDelete